Credit Scoring/Risk Management
CREDIT RISK MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONAL
Adaptable to many roles essentially functioning as an in-house credit risk consultant. I am a multi-talented and experienced, trusted and results oriented business professional with a unique combination of skills and knowledge rooted in risk management. Exposure and competency to various risk, technology and operational disciplines, including credit and behavior scoring, model validation, credit underwriting, business process reengineering and improvement and project management. Proven track record of success in diverse business units and positions from turning around and streamlining credit underwriting operations establishing improved controls and making best use of technology. A strategic and tactical thinker, mentors and motivates others; can apply my skills and experience in a wide range of business issues working across functional lines. Flexibility, adaptability, continuous learning, working independently, cooperatively & collaboratively under pressure in a fast paced environment are the ingredients for my success.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND SPECIALTIES
Commercial Credit Risk Cycle Management * Project Management * Business Analysis * Data analysis & Decision Support Management Presentations * Credit and Behavior Scoring Models, Business Rules and Expert Systems * Model validation Business Process Improvement * Database Design, Advanced Analytics and Reporting * Vendor Relationship Management * Hands on, Working Supervisor * Employee Development * Account management * Audit and Risk Due Diligence Teams Proficient in Microsoft Office, OLAP and SPSS Statistical Software
SAPIENCE CONSULTING L.L.C. - Emerson, NJ * 4/09 - Present
Managing member. Consulting services focused on assisting small businesses with business plans, budgets, web site and ebay stores fronts. (Formerly known as Emerson Web Builders)
CITIGROUP, New York, NY * 1980 - 2009
Global provider of financial services and products to consumers, small business and corporate customers.
Vice President-Senior Risk Analyst Commercial Risk Group, Long Island City, NY (10/06 - 3/09)
Senior risk & decision support analyst supporting North American Risk Head and Special Assets Group (SAG). Conducted research, analysis and made recommendations for portfolio loss mitigation. Prepared regular & time-sensitive ad-hoc deliverables to senior managers and regulators closely working with business and credit heads. Managed the classified account database, supported SAG head in monthly loss forecast meetings and prepared the loss forecast. Subject matter expert in developing and writing business requirements for credit reporting cube and Basel II database. Ensure proper mapping of data from multiple databases into new Basel II database, monitor data integrity and accurate calculation of risk weighted assets, identify and remediate defects, produce management reports highlighting trends, deficiencies and strategy going forward. Estimate the impact of exceptions on risk weighted assets, determine the impact of collateral, risk ratings and other drivers for Basel's RWA calculation. Document user requirements.
* Created credit risk indicator reporting database with MS Access and Excel data gathering templates and automated reporting which improved report accuracy and timeliness, preparation time reduced to 1 day from 5.
* Created classified account reporting database to replace a manual process of data gathering and report preparation by streamlining and automating the production of monthly classified account reports and the overall loss forecast.
* Laid the ground work for significant change in the analytics group by introducing cube databases, model validation techniques to the risk rating process, combining disparate data sources to create new & meaningful insight into portfolio dynamics. This increased productivity of the group without adding additional headcount.
* Implemented SPSS statistical software and trained staff, thus avoiding costly outsourced training.
* Met strict deadlines to complete mapping, testing, debugging and merging of multiple databases into a new Basel II reporting database. Quickly identified and corrected problems to prevent project from falling behind.
Vice President-Strategic Planning & Analytics CitiCapital-Healthcare & Energy, Mt. Laurel, NJ * (5/04-9/06)
Trusted partner and confidant to the Business Manager, by providing decision support with timely, high quality and accurate analysis and recommendations. Led project team to improve the small ticket loan operations process and implement new scorecards. Used PDCA (plan-do-check-act), TQM and Six Sigma techniques to reengineer the process from prospect to booking. Functioned as business analyst and subject matter expert. Led and presented the business case and action plan. Conducted model validations and scenario analyses. Provided training and hands on supervision by underwriting deals. Developed portfolio scorecard cutoff strategies and expected loss models using statistical scorecards and historical analysis to create distributions of time to default, recoveries, LGD, and EAD. Annually validated and stress tested models and assumptions, revised expected loss as necessary.
* Identified inefficiency and high cost of credit initiation, developed plan & obtained approval to reengineer a small ticket underwriting process. Led process reengineering effort and acted as a change agent, increased capacity 300% without adding headcount, reduced defect rates to 1%, slashed initiation costs in half and increased customer satisfaction.
* In house scoring expert that validated models, saving the company the cost to outsource.
* Created score cutoff model strategy, increased approval rates from 70% to 85%, reduced lifetime losses to 5% from 10%.
* Project manager for the Siebel sales force automation system which consolidated sales and marketing information.
* Created Business intelligence system from differing information sources. Designed and implemented a customer relationship management system, a business dashboard of key indicators and monthly Business Metrics package.
Vice President-Senior Portfolio Manager CitiCapital-Strategic Portfolio Management, Mahwah, NJ * (5/01 - 4/04)
Monitored and assessed the quality of existing models for the US and Canadian leasing operations, rebuilt and re-implemented when necessary. Communicated results, recommendations, model developments to senior management. Partnered with outside consultants to build custom scorecards. Developed business rules and override policies. Performed business analysis and facilitated activities between technical staff and end users. Performed scoring audits and loan review. Responsible for auditing files for compliance with bank policies, procedures, and government regulations; determine the appropriateness of the risk rating and soundness of the underwriting decision. Verifying the approval is valid, data is properly captured in loan systems and legal documents are complete. Assessing operational and credit process risk and reporting results to management.
* Conducted analysis to identify root causes of large portfolio losses and devised risk mitigation plan to that ultimately reduced monthly credit losses from $10MM to under $2MM.
* Developed and implemented new custom scorecards in the US and customized generic scorecards in Canada which increased the automatic decision rate from 35% to 80% and cut application processing time from 2 days to 2 hours.
* Created dynamic scorecard cutoff model which was adopted as the standard in the business unit and has a track record of proven results.
* Led project team to build a reporting scoring reporting system from an Oracle database and Business Objects reporting system from multiple data sources. Previously no such system existed.
* Created a stronger credit culture and credit officer acceptance to scoring models. Trained users to be effective users of credit scoring techniques.
Vice President-Credit Scoring Manager CitiCapital-Decision Support - Harrison, NY * (1/95 - 4/01)
Leader of the decision support unit, ensured the proper development, implementation, reporting and validation of all CitiCapital's scoring systems. Designed process flow, conducted annual audit of scoring process. Significant accomplishments include the creation of an expert system utilizing D&B's credit and financial stress scores. Led various scoring projects often functioning in business analyst role to define as-is, should be, cross function process mapping and related activities.
Assistant Vice President - Credit Scoring Assistant Manager Harrison NY (7/93 - 12/94)
Provide analytical, business intelligence and sales support to the healthcare vendor finance business unit. Conducted data mining and competitive analysis to recommend strategies to improve program utilization, performance and profitability. Participated in sales calls as scoring expert. Project manager to implement FAMAS financial statement analysis system.
Assistant Vice President - Harrison, NY (10/91 - 6/93) Sales and Marketing Support Manager
Supported the sales force and management with prospect information, standard and ad hoc reports and analysis, accompany sales persons on sales calls to educate prospective clients about credit scoring, a crucial technical expertise since we sell our process. Recommended business strategies improve performance to meet targeted goals and returns. Created credit approval database. Workout specialist to remediate problem portfolios.
Additional Experience (Details on Request)
Assistant Vice President Credit Team Leader * Citicorp North America, Chicago, IL * (5/90-9/91)
Credit Manager Program Origination * Citicorp North America, National Vendor Programs, Rye, NY * (9/88-5/90)
Credit Manager * Citicorp Industrial Credit, Englewood Cliffs, NJ * (4/87-8/88)
Portfolio Manager-Remedial Management * Citicorp Industrial Credit, Englewood Cliffs, NJ * (3/84 - 3/87)
Collector/Operations Officer * Citicorp Industrial Credit, Englewood Cliffs. NJ * (2/80 to 2/84)
Cornell University, Masters in Economics
St. Thomas Aquinas College, Sparkill, NY, Bachelor of Science in Finance.
Strong computer skills including relational database and data warehouse techniques and applications. Proficient with Infolease, EssBase, ACAPS, MS Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Project, SPSS, Business Objects and Cognos. Experienced in data mining, analysis, profiling, and validation. Knowledge of IT functions. Quick learner of new software.
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS, AFFILIATIONS & SPECIAL ASSIGNMENTS
* Presently enrolled in PMI Project Management Professional certification program and will sit for PMP Certification exam
* Designated Credit Scoring Specialist: CitiCapital since 1996)
* Member of 12 CitiCapital due diligence business and portfolio acquisitions teams as scoring specialist
* Citibank Audit & Risk Review Guest Auditor: 1997 Cash Management, FX and transaction processing, 1988 Healthcare)
* Equipment Leasing Association: member
* ELA Credit & Collections Conference 2000: Presenter Credit score modeling and management